If your Galaxy smartphone gets wet or comes into contact with water or another liquid, keep calm and open up the back cover, removing the battery as quickly as possible. This guide will outline for you the exact steps to take if your Galaxy smartphone gets wet or is suffering from water damage.

Power Off

Remove your Samsung Galaxy from the liquid and turn the device’s power off. Pop off the back cover and remove the battery, SIM card, and microSD card as quickly as possible. Due to their conductive natures, water and other liquids short-circuit electronics. Do not power on your phone, charge it, or connect it to other devices without first allowing it plenty of time to dry.

Wipe It Off

Dry your phone with a soft, absorbent cloth and carefully wipe down the headphone jack and charge port. If your Galaxy device is a GSM/AT&T model, remove and dry the SIM card and tray as well. Trying to evaporate the liquid by using a heat source causes additional damage and is not recommended.

Dry and Absorb

Place your phone in a safe, dry place. Allow at least 48 hours for the liquid to evaporate before reinserting the SIM or microSD cards or turning on the device.

Alternative Drying Method: Place Phone in Rice

Placing your phone in a plastic bag filled with uncooked rice facilitates the evaporation process. Dry rice grains act as a safe, natural alternative to other desiccants, such as silica gel, and they absorb excess liquid while being too large to enter ports or separations in the phone body.

Review Your Samsung Warranty

While your phone dries, review the terms of your warranty. Liquid damage voids your manufacturer’s warranty as well as any additional carrier coverage. However, third-party warranty vendors such as Asurion, Protect Your Bubble, and SquareTrade offer coverage for accidental drops, spills, and submersion. If you are covered by one of these warranties, file a claim to replace your equipment, regardless of whether or not the phone currently seems to be in good operating condition.

Last but Not Least

If your phone becomes submerged in any liquid other than fresh water—seawater, treated pool water, coffee, soda, juice, or alcohol—then you may need to take additional measures to preserve functionality. When these other liquids evaporate, they leave behind residue that continues to damage internal components. If your warranty does not cover liquid damage and you have no other recourse for repairing or replacing your phone, consider re-submerging your phone in circuit-safe cleaner or pure grain alcohol. Pure grain alcohol absorbs water, cleans corrosive impurities, and evaporates without leaving behind a conductive residue. After removing your phone from the alcohol bath, allow a 48-hour drying period before powering on the device.


Tell us your thoughts in the comments:


COMMENTS

No Comments Yet
   

SUBSCRIBE

Login/Register Using:
Close X

Email