The iPhone App Store from Apple is essentially the heart and soul of your phone. Here you will be able to download the world’s bestselling music and movies, as well as an abundance of both free and paid apps.
One of the best things about the iPhone in comparison to other phones is the vast selection of compatible apps, games, and music. With over 700,000 apps currently available, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the sheer scope of Apple’s software selection. I always recommend talking to friends and family to find out just what apps they themselves use and love. I also suggest that new users check out Apple’s charts within the iPhone app store; this should point you to the most popular free and paid apps that are currently available through Apple. Within these lists, you should find everything you will ever need for your phone.
Registering with the App Store
If you have a credit card at hand and intend to make purchases from the iPhone App Store, you can create an Apple ID right from your iPhone by navigating to Settings > Store. Then follow these simple steps:
- Select Create New Account.
- Select Store, choose your current country of residence, and confirm by selecting Done > Next.
- Read the iTunes Store terms and conditions, then Agree and Confirm to continue your registration.
- Enter your email address; choose a password and security questions and select Next to continue.
- Enter your credit card provider, card number, and security code. Apple stores your billing information to simplify future iTunes/App Store purchases. Select Next to continue.
To complete the account registration, select Done, then check your previously registered email account for your activation email. Through that email account, select the Verify Now link. Enter your Apple ID and password, and then tap Verify Address.
If you would prefer to register without keeping a credit card on file, the process is slightly different:
- Tap the App Store icon on the Home screen.
- Select any free application and “purchase” it by tapping Free.
- Select Create New Account, agree to the App Store terms and conditions, choose your country of residence, and fill out your account information as detailed in the previous section.
- At the payment information screen, choose None from the credit card field.
- Finish entering your account information and then verify your account via email, as above.
For additional resources and alternative instructions for creating your account through iTunes, consult Apple’s support sites for guidance on setting up an Apple ID and setting up your Apple account.