iPad Owner's Guide
iPad Data Security
Since the rise of the iPad and Tablet computing, many use their iPad for a variety of tasks and functions, so it’s a common question to ask, “How do I secure my iPad?”. Today people use their iPad much like their smartphone or laptop for basic things such shopping, web browsing, and even banking. With personal information on your iPad such as bank accounts and credit card information, it is a smart choice to take some precautions and extra security measures to ensure your iPad data is safe. Follow these easy tips to secure your iPad from viruses and criminals.
10 Steps to keep your iPad safe and Secure:
- Perform consistent backups and syncs: perform a routine backup with iTunes or iCloud on a monthly basis to ensure your data, content, and files are safely and securely backed up off of your iPad in case you need them.
- Require a password on your iPad, especially if others use it. Implement a security password by going to Settings > General> Passcode lock. You can also have the iPad erase all the data after 10 failed passcode attempts.
- Stay up to date with software updates. Perform a software update as soon as Apple releases it. Often, these updates are mostly based on security holes or fixes. Keep your iPad security constantly up to date for optimal use and safety.
- Add restrictions to your iPad to limit certain functions. To do this head to Settings> General> Restrictions. There you will be able to password- control apps and functions of your iPad.
- Install security application for you iPad. We like WaveSecure iOS Edition, for iOS devices. With this iPad virus protection app, users can back up personal data to a Web portal where it is available for data restoration. It also provides internet security and can remotely lock a lost or stolen iPad to protect the data. It is available in the App Store for $19.99.
- Get a password manager. If you log on to many sites that require a password, a password manager app is a great investment. SplashID Safe is our favorite app and is only $9.99. This app will protect all your banking, credit card, and personal information as well as your logins — all on your iPad.
- Invest in a good antivirus. If your surf the web on your iPad frequently a good antivirus program will ensure you keep out trojans, worms, and viruses. We like VirusBarrier from Intego, which is only $2.99 in the app store. This app scans your entire iOS device and finds spyware, adware, and other hacker tools, which makes it perfect for iPad virus protection.
- Set up the Find My iPhone app on your iPad. This Apple iPhone app also works for iPads and is a necessity for anyone who owns an iOS device. This free security tool helps locate your iPad or remotely wipe your device should it become lost or stolen.
- Set your iPad up on a VPN. For ultimate secure browsing the iPad will also allow you to connect through a virtual private network (VPN). To setup your iPad on a VPN go to Settings > General > Network > VPN and then choose Add VPN Configuration.
- Last but not least, keep an eye on your iPad. The iPad is a powerful mobile computing device and should be handled with care. Always make sure your iPad is secure inside and out, locked, and kept in a safe place while not in use.
Do you have any other tips for keeping your iPad secure? If you have any questions about iPad security of your device when you trade it in, check out our Ultimate Guide for Trading in Your iPad.